The Conscious Foodie
You are probably vegan/vegetarian, you compost, maybe have gone dumpster diving and you have a garden. You shop at local farmer’s markets, are against GMOs, enjoy a variety of foods, no meat, are an animal rights activist and care about animals.
Tips & Tricks to improve your sustainable practices:
- Prepare and eat one vegan/vegetarian meal per week
- Add a basket to your bike for shopping at farmers’ markets.
- Invest in Long-Lasting Cookware. Choose cookware and utensils that stand the test of time and won’t have to be thrown away with your leftover casserole.
- Cook From Scratch. Avoid purchasing pre-prepared, frozen foods, and make them yourself, at home; many meals are made to be frozen and reheated without any loss in taste or quality, so there’s no reason to thaw and rehydrate frozen and dehydrated foods when you can skip these steps and buy and cook fresh. A bonus is that you’ll know exactly what is going into your food!
- Use Green Kitchen Cleaners. The list of what goes into regular petrochemical-based dishwashing liquids, detergents, floor and surface cleaners and other household cleaning products is enough to turn anyone’s stomach. Fortunately, plenty of natural cleaning companies are out there producing non-toxic, biodegradable, plant-based detergents.